So, What Exactly is SkyDrive?
SkyDrive is a file hosting service developed by Microsoft that allows you to upload files to a cloud storage and then access them from a web browser or client software. Files uploaded to your account are available only to you, unless you decide to share it with anyone else. Also you can grant permission to modify your file to any other SkyDrive user, which allows you to effectively collaborate online on any type of documents.
SkyDrive offers free 7GB of storage to all users. Additional storage is available for purchase. The maximum size of a single file is 2GB.
There are two ways to access the files: via a web browser or a desktop application (client software).
Working with SkyDrive through Web Browser
Here is how SkyDrive looks if you open it in a web browser:
Within a web browser you can:
- Upload and download files
- Rename, delete, or move the files as you wish
- View and edit office documents right in the browser
- Browse photos and videos
- Share on social networks
- ...and perform many other actions
Working with SkyDrive through Desktop Application
The desktop application, syncDriver for SkyDrive, allows you to modify uploaded files just by accessing your local folders. Whenever you create, edit, or delete something in the synchronization folder, the changes are uploaded to SkyDrive cloud in the background, so you do not have to care about updating them manually. Even if you do not have an Internet connection as you work, the changes will be synchronized once the connection is restored.
Using syncDriver for SkyDrive can be similar to using a USB Flash drive that is always connected to several computers, with automated data transfer.
syncDriver for SkyDrive grants you the following benefits:
- Access your files, the most recent version of them, as soon as possible - without the need to sign in and download manually
- Create, edit, or delete files with the confidence that these actions will be reflected in your SkyDrive account
- Edit your documents with the editor of your choice instead of web-based limited version
- Transfer data with SSL encryption, so that no one can intercept it
syncDriver for SkyDrive Advantages
In addition to what was mentioned above, here are some advantages of syncDriver for SkyDrive that the standard client software does not have:
- Support for all Windows versions starting from Windows XP
- Lightweight installation package - you can have it up in running in 2 minutes
- Optimized change detection algorithms
- High performance of data transfer
- Support for operating system symlinks
- Ability to map SkyDrive as a separate disk that works even if you are offline!
- Download syncDriver for SkyDrive and install it (it's free)
- If you do not have a SkyDrive account yet, create it here (it's free too)
- Provide your SkyDrive account login and password when syncDriver asks
- Choose a local folder to synchronize with your cloud storage
That's it, quick and easy! Do you have any questions or feedback? Please let us know, we are always happy to help.